Last year I had this crazy idea...An idea that came with the baggage of "what if's", "that's too much work" & "I can't's" - And what I'm starting to realize in life, is those crazy-far-fetched-day-dream-like-seems-impossible ideas are actually the ones you should grab a hold of, fight to do and then watch soar.
This idea in particular had been brewing around in my head for a bit and then my friend Sandra at Eden Grove Photography, started to creatively stir it up. Pieces started to just fall into place, businesses opened their doors to help, families and children were excited to be a part of it and together, somehow we created something so extraordinarily, beautiful.
As a special-needs parent, I know how it can feel to be overwhelmed with pride for who your child is - but to have others stand up and celebrate them with you, is a remarkable feeling. So, I wanted there to be a way for others to feel what I do - I get this amazing platform through Happy Soul Project to share and watch others celebrate Pip for who she is everyday. And somehow I wanted to bottle up that feeling and be able to give it to other families.
Happy Soul Project's 2015 #differentisbeautiful Calendar was made with such a hope, endless frustrations with me learning computer programs and designing it, hours & hours & hours of Sandra's talent and the most charismatic, joyful and beautifully different kids around.
I am so thankful that I got to see this idea soar. And within that thanks, I got a lot to do.
- Thank you Sandra for capturing the kids perfectly - For your great big heart, the time you put into this, your patience, outrageous talent and most importantly for putting up with me.
- Thank you Meghan & Donna - my two "interns/friends"...Our Calendar Launch Party would not have happened without you both. Thank you for roping your families in to help, doing just about everything & for both of your generous spirits. So happy to have y'all on board.
- Thank you to everyone who volunteered to help at the calendar photo shoot & the Launch Party...Having extra hands, donating food or helping make the kids smile - It all was so appreciated.
- Thank you to local businesses who helped make our Photo Shoot & Launch Party days to remember.
- We couldn't have done it without the Kingston 1000 Islands Sportsplex, the space you donated could not have been more perfect.
- Delta Kingston Waterfront Hotel for hosting the photo shoot in a beautiful room overlook our gorgeous city.
- All of the local Shoppers Drug Mart in Kingston & Amherstview for the impressive amount of donations and a fabulous gift for each child.
- Staples Kingston - Gardiners Road for entertaining my crazy ideas, making it all work and helping us out above & beyond. Y'all rocked and I can't thank you enough.
- The Kingston Frontenacs, Chapters Kingston, Minotaur and The Rocking Horse for not only donating a gift but for believing in our project and selling the calendars in your stores.
- And to all these businesses for donating towards the day whether that was helping with food, a raffle gift for the families or a give-away. Thank you so much: Jack Astors, Ambassador Hotel, Mastermind Toys, Cineplex, Food Basics, Jan Kahlen - Kahlenhomes, Harpers, Mucho Burrito, Five Guys, Merry Maids, ENJO / Erin Vretteas, Serendipty Studios, Saputo Bakery, Tim - Chris's Cleaners, Hershey, Nestle, Lindt, Hostess, Pepsi, Kingston Credit Union, Cut n' Dried Hair Salon, Metro, Hear More Canada, T2BBQ - Jennifer Hoggarth, Larochelle Drywall, Lyle & Shelly Stephenson, Inwood Designs, Becky Hinch Photography, 4 Cats Art Studio, Sarah Bertelsen Travel Services, Thirty- One / Elisa Mullins and Abbey Stewart for entertaining the group so they didn't have to hear this the entire time:
- Thank you to each and every person who bought a calendar..Your support is encouraging. Your purchase is powerful and you now are on the hook to help change the world a wee bit...We want the calendar to help build a community of kindness. So each month there is an “Awesome, Eh Act” which shines a light on a random that leaves someone with nothing left to say except “Awesome, eh?” On the 15th of every month, the thousands of people who have the calendar will be challenged to put that positivity out there in the world —whether it’s leaving a Post-It note that reads “You are beautiful” in a public space, or donating a coat to a child in need. It’s meant to make someone else’s world brighter and I thank you for being a part of this.
- Thank you to my husband - Y'all have no idea. This man, oh man, this man needs a whole blog of thank you's - Thank you for encouraging me to learn this process even though I was up till 2am most nights, for helping me pack and ship thousands of these beauties and supporting, always, supporting my dreams. I'm so very lucky to have someone believe in me and what I'm doing, as much as you do.
And most importantly thank you to each and every child that graced the pages of the calendar...Meeting you and seeing you smile made this all worth everything. It was an absolute privilage to share your stories & those smiles with the world.
Note: Staples is having a 10% off sale starting today...Go stock up